x86_64 install fails, i386 install works, but ubuntu fixes all

Summary - based on the Fedora docs, I started with x86_64 install for
a Core 2 Duo system, with  NVIDIA GeForce 7100 / nForce 630i Chipset,
IDE CD/DVD, and SATA hard drive.

Seems like the packaging of x86_64 is different from i386 in terms of
supported drivers - i386 is much better at recognizing the drivers?

This is for a GIGABYTE GA-73PVM-S2
http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Products/Motherboard/Products_Spec.aspx?ClassValue=Motherboard&ProductID=2734&ProductName=GA-73PVM-S2

All installs were using ISO image, burned to DVD.
Fedora 11 x86_64: right after booting, it shows problems. It starts a
text-install, so it has failed to recognize the video. Then, after
selecting English, it asks for Install mode, I pick CD/DVD, and it
then says "no driver found". I manually select pata_amd (see i386
below), but immediately get back into the "no driver found"  so this
is now an infinite loop, can't hit F12 to get to next screen, no way
to quit, have to hit CTRL-ALT-DEL.
I then retried this, using Network install
(ftp://local-computer/....). This proceeds fine - in text mode. So it
did at least  get the network "forcedeth" driver correct.
But of course, after the install is done, it fails to start X - I did
not note down the error, so all I have now is a text login.

Then I tried the i386 install. This sails through with no trouble.
Automatically finds CD/DVD drive, does the install in VGA mode, and
after install, X works just fine.
Then, I tried to make DVD playback work - followed all instructions
for libdvdcss, xine, totem, etc, but no luck - cannot play DVDs,
something about MPEG codec not found.

Finally, I decided to try a different distribution.
Chose Kubuntu 9.04 amd64 (basically Ubuntu, basically debian). This
64-bit install worked like the i386 Fedora install - all smooth.
(Though Fedora install was more aesthetically pleasing! Nicer
graphics/prompts, better feedback).

Kubuntu first-boot was smooth - it popped up a window "hardware driver
upgrade", which was required to get into full 1600x1200 mode on my
display, to install the proprietary nvidia drivers. DVDs played back
too! Dragon Player asked to download required files, and everything
just worked. This was amazing - much smoother experience than Fedora
11 x86_64

Hope this helps anyone else struggling with Fedora - after 10 years of
Fedora, I think I'm going to stick with Ubuntu for now, but might be
back when I have time to try Fedora 13 or some such version, hoping
that all these problems may be fixed by then.

I may have time to try one more re-install - so if anyone has tips on
how to make x86_64 install work, please post.