Re: Dual screen / Xinerama

------------------------------

Message: 8
Date: Tue, 23 Jun 2009 09:40:59 +0100
From: Gary Stainburn <gary.stainburn@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Dual screen / Xinerama
To: "Community assistance, encouragement,       and advice for using
       Fedora." <fedora-list@xxxxxxxxxx>

Hi folks,

I've got on this topic before and also done a load more googling but I still
haven't got an answer.

I have a FC10 / WinXP system at home with a NVidia GForce 9600 card in it.
Attached to it I have 2 19" screens.

In WinXP everything works fine. I have the left screen as the main one and can
open and drag windows between the two screens with ease.

However, in FC10 all I can manage to do is to get both screens to have the
content which is of course no use.

My research points to me needing to use Xinerama. However, that same research
indicates that this is no longer supported being replaced by another project
which then itself got dropped.

Is this true?
If not, does anyone have SIMPLE instructions on how to set it up
If yes, is there an alternative system I could use?

Cheers
Gary
--
Gary Stainburn

Gary,

Use Twinview.  I do this with Fedora 10 and it works perfectly.

Step 1:  Install nvidia proprietary drivers from rpm-fusion
Step 2: Run nvidia-settings -  I don't remember the name of the problem because Gnome Do always fills it in for me, but it's pretty obvious
Step 3:  Click on the second entry on the left
Step 4:  Click on the "disabled" monitor
Step 5:  Click on Configure (or something like that - I'm not in front of my machine now)
Step 6:  Click Twinview
Step 7:  Set that monitor as "left of" or "right of" the other
Step 8:  Click Apply
Step 9:  Click OK to keep the settings
Step 10:  Quit the nvidia program

If you want to not have to repeat those 10 steps every time you log in, you need to write the settings to your Xorg.conf, but I don't remember how to do that off the top of my head.  It also means you have to run the nvidia program as root so that yuo can write to Xorg.conf

Can't get any SIMPLER than that.