Re: Output of "yum list installed"

Michael Schwendt wrote:
On Mon, 22 Jun 2009 16:09:04 -0400, Bill wrote:

Coincidence. Yum cannot know that there are updates in repos which
are not enabled.

If the repos were enabled at one time and the data is still available it can be checked,

It doesn't load the metadata. Not even the cached one.

Unlike "yum list available", which even refreshes _disabled_ repos.

and of course yum knows when/if the package installed came from a repo which is not currently enabled.

Only if the installation history is found in yumdb (see /usr/sbin/yumdb),
but it cannot rely on that information, and deleting yumdb doesn't change
the colours in "yum list installed" output. All I does is to compare the
installed package with the metadata for the enabled repos and detect the
different version.  Then it prints the package in yellow, not in
red. Additionally, it looks at yumdb to find out from which repo the
installed package came from and prints out that detail.

Sorry, you are absolutely right, I was looking at the output of just list, not list installed. I really don't use the installed form, and just fell into thinking it was what I usually see.

Sorry for any confusion.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen@xxxxxxx>