Re: Skype is a CPU hog on Fedora 11

On 06/22/2009 05:25 PM, Brian Mury wrote:
On Mon, Jun 22, 2009 at 15:03, Robert Wuest<rwuestfc@xxxxxxxxx>  wrote:
Skype was working fine on Fedora 10, but on 11 it consumes 100% of a CPU

Is the CPU at 100% all of the time, or only when Skype is in use?
Is Skype configured to use PulseAudio?

If I set Skype to use PulseAudio for the ringing device, it uses 100%
CPU when it plays sounds, and for several seconds afterwards. This
doesn't always happen the first few times it plays sounds, but will
start happening after it has been in use for a while (it doesn't take
long). Setting it to the ALSA device works.

Strangely enough, I had this problem on a previous Fedora version (9?
10? I forget), but it eventually went away - after some software
updates, if I recall correctly, but my memory is pretty hazy on this.
Seems it's back in F11... :-(

BTW, I haven't tried using PulseAudio for the sound in/sound out
devices, so I don't know how that would behave. I have a USB headset
that is used only for Skype.

Brian

I am using pulse. To be honest, audio has become a freakin' mystery to me on Linux - I feel lucky if anything plays at all anymore. (I've been trying to decipher this in hopes of getting a clue to my audio problems : http://insanecoding.blogspot.com/2009/06/state-of-sound-in-linux-not-so-sorry.html)

I had a real hard time getting the microphone input to work. So I have the input set to pulse and the output set to HDA Intel. That is the only thing I could ever get to work at all. I tried every combination, calling that skype testing service thing each time to see if it was working. A _lot_ of time doing trial and error. I do not see an ALSA option. Only the default (no workie), several HDA Intel options (no workie), HDMI (no workie), and Pulse (works). I think I even installed the static version of skype to get it work, then the regular version has worked since. This is a real mess.

So, this might be interesting: what would happen if I just rpm -e'd everything pulse? Can I just remove pulse completely and expect anything to work? All I really care about working would be three things: mplayer (for mp3s and oggs and an occasional mpg/avi), flash (for hulu.com) and skype. If everything else was broken, it might be a long time before I even noticed.