Re: Fedora 11 qemu-kvm virtual machine missing sound hw

Andy Wang wrote:
Hi all,
I'm trying to see if the qemu-kvm stuff in F11 is a good replacement
for me for VirtualBox and running into one problem.  I can't seem to
get the VM to add a sound device to a windows XP guest.  In the
Virtual Machine itself, a es1370 sound device was automatically
created.  I removed it and created another, and even added an sb16
device hoping it would work as well, but it's never picking up any
kind of sound device.

the qemu-kvm process (seen via ps command) doesn't contain -soundhw
es1370 that i think it's supposed to contain.  Anyone know a solution
to this?  Starting the VM via virsh has the same effect as using the
gui virt-manager.

virsh dumpxml WindowsXP does contain:
    <sound model='es1370'/>

I don't have that problem running from cli, so it is a problem in the libvirt stuff, not in qemu-kvm. There is probably a way to get the virt-* stuff to do what you want, I just never found a good reason to add one more level of obscurity between where I am and what I want. virt-manager is outstanding as long as you want to do what it expects you to do, after that it's a learning experience.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen@xxxxxxx>