two F11 issues

Hi everyone!

F11 live cd, booting from USB on a eeepc 901 (20 gig model).

boots fine, pretty much everything works fine.

But...
1) sound volume is so low as to be nearly inaudible. I've cranked up every
mixer/volume control I can find, including alsamixer. I know that in F10,
doing that worked--every new kernel on f10 would reset alsamixer to 50%,
and I'd have to go reset it. But F11 seems to be different. Clues pls?

2) printing anything to my Brother HL2070N laser printer prints only one
line of garbage at the bottom of the page, then nothing else. Or else the
job sits in the queue forever without printing. Varies a bit depending on
which printer drive I choose. Same results whether I use the RH printer
config tool, or whether I browse to localhost:631. ON F10 (and pretty much
every other system I've used) configuring the printer has been a piece of
cake, and it "just works". I choose HL2060 as the printer model and usually
the recommended driver. Which one is the recommended one varies a bit
depending on the version/age of Linux one is using, but they've always
worked. Not now. Advice appreciated.

I wouldn't THINK these would be artifacts of using the live-from-usb
method. I'm trying to test it out for a while before blowing away the
(mostly) working F10 installation.

Thanks!
 .----    Fred Smith   /
 /    /  /   /__) /  /  /__) .+'           Home: fredex@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx