Re: Time-switched desktop background?

On 06/21/2009 07:23 AM, Colin Paul Adams wrote:
I can set my screen-saver to display a random picture from my Pictures
folder, and it will keep changing it every few seconds.

But only when the screen-saver is active - I'd like to do the same for
my desktop background (GNOME).

Is there a way to do this?

Ancient history ...

The programs "xsetroot filename", "xv -windowid id filename" and "display -window root filename" will put an image in the root window.

Gnome and KDE don't let you see the root window, they cover it with a "virtual root window", so these programs don't work any more. If you can figure out the window id of the virtual root, you could probably get it working. I'm too stupid.

Just complaining, don't have an answer.

Regards,

John