Re: Baffled by a Cable Modem, solved again

On 06/21/2009 01:53 PM, Don Vogt wrote:
Date: Sun, 21 Jun 2009 11:10:21 -0400
From: Jim<mickeyboa@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: (no subject)
To: "Community assistance, encouragement,    and advice for using
     Fedora."<fedora-list@xxxxxxxxxx>

On 06/21/2009 12:51 AM, Armin Moradi wrote:

On Sat, Jun 20, 2009 at 7:05 PM,<dnvot@xxxxxxxxx

     Message: 8
     Date: Sat, 20 Jun 2009 10:42:14 -0400
     From: Mail Lists<lists@xxxxxxxxxxxx<mailto:lists@xxxxxxxxxxxx>>
     Subject: Re: Baffled by a Cable Modem
     To: "Community assistance, encouragement,    and advice for using
        Fedora."<fedora-list@xxxxxxxxxx<mailto:fedora-list@xxxxxxxxxx>>

     On 06/20/2009 10:38 AM, Jim wrote:

     >>  What your forgetting is the mac# from a previous device,
     Computer ,etc,
     >>  some cable modems will retain that mac # and not connect to any new
     >>  devices until you clear the old one.
     >>

     >  I thought he had connectivity - just not to all hosts - so this
     sounds
     >like a red herring.

     I have been trying to follow this line of trouble shooting, but it
     think it is above my pay grade.
     But I think you are right about the red-herring. I can ping any
     one I have tried. I think that means my DHCP and DNS are OK.

     >Could it be DNS problem?  ... firefox caches dns ... so some cached
     >hosts may work
     That looks promising. If firefox is cacheing a bad dns, then maybe
     everything else would work OK except firefox. Maybe, if it cached
     a google dns, it would work with the google stuff, which it does,
     but not other sites.
     However, I also tried dillo, with the same unable to load result.
     I had an idea of how to check this. I booted the problem computer
     with fc9 Live-CD. (I think that gives me all clean configuration
     files) and I had the same problem and gmail still worked.

     I have connected the ethernet cable out of the modem to my old
     computer ( fc8). I tried to boot, which went OK, except the modem
     wasn't found. I then  powered down the modem and the computer,
     then powered them both up and booted.
     It seems to work fine. (Maybe this computer works on saturdays)
     To me, it acts like hardware. Next I think I will try putting in
     an old NIC that I have and see what happens.

Could someone put a sane subject on this please?  (no subject) doesn't
make any sense.

--
Armin Moradi

done. I apologize . It was just dumb.

If he is having problems with reaching some websites and not others it
is a IPV6 DNS problem in Firefox ,
1. Do a about:config in Firefox URL and where it says "filter" at top
put this line  "network.dns.disableIPv6   user set  boolean  true"
W/O quotes.
And double check down in body that it is entered correctly.

2.  In /etc make a file dhclient-eth0.conf and put in line,
"prepend domain-name-servers 127.0.0.1;"
W/o quotes
If you have a eth1 or wlan0 , you will have to make a file for them,
just change the eth0 to eth1, wlan0, Etc.
Done, and that seems to have solved it.
  I re-configured to the motherboard eth interface, made the changes, rebooted and it seems fine. I consider it solved ( I had a thursday before when it worked for a day so I have to run a while to be sure)
  I also put in another NIC and that worked too. So I now have two solutions.
I thank all who helped.
----------------------------

That's great.
I had the same problems when I installed FC11.
I'am attaching a file that explains the whole procedure in more detail.
If I were you I would save the file, I think a lot more people are going to have the same problem.
1.  Q: Networking (or DNS) seems really slow and fails often (Updated 2 January 2009)
A: If Fedora 10's networking seems slow or you get frequent network connection failures (when other Fedoras or other OSes were working just fine on your machine), then you're probably hitting this bug.

Here's how you can work around it:

   1. Open a Terminal.
   2. Become root:

      su -
   3. Make sure that the "dnsmasq" program is installed (it usually is, by default, in Fedora 10):

      rpm -q dnsmasq

      If that says "package dnsmasq is not installed", then you need to install dnsmasq, by running the following command:

      yum install dnsmasq
   4. Now, you have to find out which network interface your machine is using:

      route -n

      You'll see some output that looks like this:

      Destination Gateway Genmask Flags Metric Ref Use Iface 192.168.1.0 0.0.0.0 255.255.255.0 U 1 0 0 eth0 0.0.0.0 192.168.1.1 0.0.0.0 UG 0 0 0 eth0

      The eth0 there (the furthest bottom-right text in the output) is the name of the network interface I'm using. Yours might be eth1 or something totally different. Just remember it for the next step.
   5. Now create a file called /etc/dhclient-<your network interface>.conf. For example, if your network interface is eth0, the file would be called /etc/dhclient-eth0.conf.

      You can create the file with this command (assuming your network interface is eth0):

      nano /etc/dhclient-eth0.conf

      Then make this the only line in the file:

      prepend domain-name-servers 127.0.0.1;

      And then save the file and close it (Ctrl-X then Y).

      If you have both a wireless and a wired network connection, you will have to do this step once for each of them.
   6. Now start dnsmasq:

      service dnsmasq start

      And make sure that it will start every time your computer starts:

      chkconfig dnsmasq on
   7. Now restart your network connection:

      service NetworkManager restart

And now things should be as fast as normal again. You might have to restart the programs that you're running for them to pick up the changes that NetworkManager made when it restarted.

2.  * IPv6
You might notice that your browsing through Firefox is a little slow on Fedora 10. This is because Firefox 3 has enabled by default IPv6 which causes Firefox to first resolve an IPv6 address and after the connection fails it switches to IPv4. To change this setting type:

about:config

and in Filter box type:

network.dns.disableIPv6

Right click on it, select Toggle and change its value to true. Restart Firefox and you are ready!

Selinux Relabeling files.

setenforce 0; fixfiles -F restore; setenforce 1; reboot