Re: RocketRAID 1740 and Fedora 10

On Sat, 2009-06-20 at 15:56 -0500, Bruno Wolff III wrote:
> If you aren't dual booting a Windows OS you should consider just using
> the card as a nonraid controller and use software raid. It doesn't look
> like that card comes with battery backed cache, so it probably won't help
> noticably with performance. By using software raid, you aren't tied to
> the hardware and if the controller dies you don't need to buy the same
> card to get your data back.

All very true.  But, the Fedora 7 PC I pulled this hardware from didn't
have any onboard SATA, so I had originally decided to purchase the RAID
card to give me SATA II ports AND do the RAID in hardware (the PC is 5
years old).  Now that I've moved it all into my new PC, I have access to
on board SATA.  So, the plan is to:

1. move the data from the old RocktRAID 1740 RAID 5 to my Linux RAID 1
2. disconnect all 3 drives from the RAID card
3. connect the same 3 drives to the on board SATA I/II ports
4. remove the RAID card
5. configure Linux RAID 5 on those drives

That'll make me sleep better at night. :)  But, I'm in no rush to do it,
especially since I make daily backups.  It took long enough to move all
the hardware around today. Maybe I'll make the change in a few months.

FYI: I'm doing all of this just so I can run FreeNAS in a KVM VM on my
PC. I don't think freebsd can read from or write to Linux LVM, so I'll
have to use NFS on top in order use the storage in FreeNAS.

Regards,

Ranbir

--
Kanwar Ranbir Sandhu
Linux 2.6.27.24-170.2.68.fc10.x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux