Re: OT: router problems?

On Sat, 2009-06-20 at 12:54 +0100, Anne Wilson wrote:
> > Assuming, that you have Adsl it could be that something is causing
> > interference to line between your home and DSLAM, what speed the
> > connection is and how far the DSLAM is?
> >
> OK - that makes sense.  We have overhead telephone wires in the
> village, so
> sometimes work being done on any cable can affect others around.
> Maybe that
> would apply.

I've found it useful to know the IP address of my ISP's entry port (seen
from my network). You can often discover this via traceroute, or just
look at the "default route" setting for your modem.

Whenever there's a problem I ping the IP to quickly detect if a network
problem is local to me or is in the ISP. Knowing the typical ping times
is also useful, and if the error rate is non-zero it's a strong hint of
a physical problem.

poc