Re: upgrading & display problem

On Fri, 19 Jun 2009 14:42:01 -0700, Konstantin Svist wrote:

> Beartooth TpBkR wrote:
	[...]
>> 	I think I'm going to have to shut everything down, take the
>> problem machine off the switch, and re-tinker with all three
>> peripherals connected directly to it -- the way I quit having to do
>> installs and upgrades three or four releases ago.
>>
>> 	Is there a less tedious way??
>>
> Problem is that KVM switches emulate monitor keyboard and mouse to the
> computers. This is because default BIOS settings prevent the computer
> from booting if the keyboard/monitor aren't present

	What is odd is that throughout the last two or three Fedora
releases, if not longer, these upgrades have succeeded with the KVM
switch in place.

> -- and ps/2 mouse
> connectors are generally sucky and don't accept a mouse if it was
> plugged in after the computer booted (could be a winderz problem,
> actually...).

	Everything has been USB rather than PS/2 for a year or three.

> Anyway, your KVM switch tells your machine that the monitor resolution
> is 1400x1050 and F11 happily obeys (thinking the resolution info is
> real).

	That certainly sounds right; but why is it only doing it now,
after having refrained during previous upgrades??

> Setting it to 1680x1050 (only, no other resolutions!) in xorg.conf
> should normally make it work. You'll need to restart X -- and for that,
> you may need to reboot the machine. If you can't reboot, you can change
> runlevel to 3 and then back to 5:
> # init 3
> [... wait a little for console to settle down ...] # init 5

	Went there, did that -- some days ago. No joy.