Re: F11 Java Graphics issue - Solved

On 06/19/2009 04:11 PM, Ken Bass wrote:
I just installed a fresh Fedora 11. I am running the NVIDIA driver
(Twinview mode, not Xinerama), and an application that worked in the
past that uses graphics (draws circles, arrows) now is unusable. When
trying to interact with the graphics (drag, etc), the Java task shoots
up to 60-90%. The larger I make the window (regardless of the same
amount of graphics), the slower Java + xorg is. I went so far as to swap
video cards without change (from Geforce 7 to Geforce 8 series).

All this stuff worked fairly snappy under Fedora 10 under VMware. For
Fedora 11, I have installed natively, and the native environment is dual
headed. Does anyone have any pointers on where to look? I can run the
glxgears program and get 15000fps or so.

Adding '-Dsun.java2d.opengl=True' results in snappy
performance. Apparently since Java 5 (1.5) OpenGL acceleration is turned off by default.
See http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.5.0/docs/guide/2d/new_features.html#ogl