Re: Baffled by a Cable Modem

Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:
Frank Cox wrote:
On Wed, 17 Jun 2009 17:38:44 -0500
Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:

I am not sure of the exact cause, but I have speculated that it has
a dhcp server with only one IP address in its address pool. It will
not give that IP address to another NIC until the lease expires, or
the server is restarted...
The cable company that I do some occasional tech work for has a setup where
each modem is "entitled to" a certain number of IP addresses, the entitlement
depending on the service level that's being paid for.  It won't give a modem
any more IP addresses until the modem is reset by the guys in the NOC.

Will the modem give the same IP address to another NIC after the
lease has expired, or after you power-cycle the modem? I know
power-cycling the modem works with my SpeedStream 5100. I have never
had the time to see if it will also work by letting the lease expire...

You can also manually release the lease from cli, "dhclient -r" does it. Faster than letting it time out. ;-)

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen@xxxxxxx>