Re: Baffled by a Cable Modem solved

dnvot@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
My problem is solved, at least for now. My reservation is becauser I don't know what I did. Last night I tried to be sure I had no filters interfering., I turned off the firewall, booted and tried firefox and dillo. Neither worked. I made selinux permissive, rebooted and tried dillo and firefox. Neither worked. I went to bed. This morning I tried Puppy Linux, and it worked fine. So I tried ubuntu, and that worked fine. ( I had failed with both of them yesterday.) So I booted fedora and firefox -- success.
 I was baffled in the beginning, and I am more baffled now.
I thank you all for your efforts. I tried ( to the best of my abilities) to implement all the suggestions, but I don't believe I ever really changed anything permanently.
 I am OK for now, but Who knows; maybe it only works on thursdays.

On some cable/dsl boxes you get a non-routable IP from the DHCP in the box itself, and the external IP is not readily visible (NAT at its worst). If you are willing to risk another overnight outage you could connect one box, run ifconfig to see the MAC and IP addresses, then run the other system and do the same. That would let you see if the cable box cares what you are attaching.

I seem to recall that local cable boxes have four RJ45 connectors and you can have multiple computers on at once.

Note: if you do have an issue with the cable, you can buy a cheap WAP and then the cable box will always see the same MAC, DHCP in the WAP gives out IP addresses. I have a D-Link here, but only because it was on sale. It's been totally boring, I haven't changed anything in years, although I am going to change from WEP+VPN to WSA2 as soon as I get rid of the last laptop running a pre-WSA distro.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen@xxxxxxx>