Re: sha256sum

stan wrote:
On Thu, 18 Jun 2009 20:24:56 -0400
terry <xtlynne@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Todd
I interpret the above as ... sha256sum Fedora-xxx-xxx-CHecksum and
the program looks for the iso and calculates the number and checks
them with the checksum file for a match or no match? No? If so, this
doesn't work. It is the same answer as Steve Searle's and Doc
Savage's. I think more detail is needed.

As it happens, I just downloaded the f11 dvd today and ran a check on
it.  I used the program shasum with the checksum file for F11 I
downloaded.

In a directory with both the Fedora iso file and the iso's checksum-file present, run the command:

shasum -c checksum-file

This will read the list of checksums in the file, and look for the
files that generated those checksums in the present directory.  It will
then run the same check on them that the checksum was generated with in
the file. It will compare the two checksums and tell you if they are
the same.

Clear as mud? :-)

I have had two people (so far) tell me their bittorrent was missing files because the CHECKSUM file has all the possible files in it. I therefore offered them this tiny script which they can run in any directory:
  for fn in *.iso; do grep "$fn" *CHECKSUM; done | sha256sum -c -

It is so easier than explaining that only the lines for images they have are meaningful. Users, one told me they didn't check downloads because they didn't know what to do if there was an error.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen@xxxxxxx>