Re: Kernel 2.6.30

john wendel wrote:
On 06/19/2009 06:10 AM, Antonio Olivares wrote:

[snip]

BTW,
If kernel.org releases 2.6.30.1, Are there any delta *.tar.gz's that one can download instead of downloading
the full kernel source again to update to 2.6.30.1? I have been yearning to ask this question, but never had the courage or the determination to do so. I generally follow Fedora kernels, but sometimes I get eager to run the latest and greatest. I run rawhide too, but they are at 2.6.30-6.fc12. Someone told me that there were patches that one could download and recompile to get the latest version, but they don't tell me how and there does not seem to exist documentation as to how to do it. All of this in case Fedora stays a little bit behind, they are doing the right thing though testing and making sure that the kernels work :), and that the changes upstream do not affect the endusers in a bad way.

Regards,

Antonio

How to patch the Linux kernel

Download the latest patch file for the kernel you're running - You'll see it on the kernel.org website.

Put the patch file in the directory with the original, unpatched kernel source. Run "make mrproper". Run bunzip to uncompress the patch file. Run patch -P1 < "patch-file-name"

Now your kernel is patched to the latest version. Do your kernel build.

Having done a full clean, you need a config file, so 'defconfig' or 'allmod' or whatever is appropriate. If I have built a config with the crud out, I generally save the config (or just make clean) and then make the config to set any new options.

Very much why I want to have a tool to build only the modules I need, even on a four CPU system with big memory and fast disk a full build fails the breath test (can you hold your breath while it builds).

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen@xxxxxxx>