Re: Kernel 2.6.30

john wendel wrote:
On 06/18/2009 03:14 PM, Bill Davidsen wrote:
Michael Schwendt wrote:
On Thu, 18 Jun 2009 16:44:17 +0900, Misha wrote:

В Чтв, 18/06/2009 в 00:44 -0300, Itamar Reis Peixoto пишет:
koji is the fedora build system

there are a 2.6.30 compiled in koji.
I am using F10. Would it be safe for me to install
kernel-2.6.29.5-84.fc10 from koji? Or even kernel-2.6.30-6.fc12 keeping
in mind I'm no tester? :-)

The F10 kernel build you refer to is pending as a future test-update:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/updates/kernel-2.6.29.5-84.fc10,hal-0.5.12-15.20081027git.fc10

To your original question, no. Getting any software from koji, rawhide,
or even updates-testing involves a certain risk factor. I am not saying
"don't do it," just that you asked if it was safe, and the answer is no,
or at least "not really."

Kernel 2.6.30 has a LOT of new stuff in it, unless you have a need for
something new or want to start being a tester, you might wait on this
one, or try it in a VM first. VM is addictive, I have f{9,10,11,rawhide}
VMs, all four major BSD flavors, and Solaris. Oh, and a Win7 beta with
about 20 minutes uptime on it.

Good advice (for the chickens). Until I replaced it with F11, I was running 2.6.30 from kernel.org on an F8 box. It contains new stuff, but you don't have to use it. It was working perfectly.

Actually there are changes in the common filesystem code as well, so you are definitely going through some new code and do "have to use it."

BTW, why would anyone want to build a new kernel and use the Fedora configuration file? You can dump a few megabytes of useless crap by building a kernel that is tailored to your system.

I'm going to assume that question is for the O.P. and pass on it. Fedora kernels are not kernel.org kernels, there are patches applied, so there is at least some justification for starting with a Fedora source. I wish there was a tool to scan the hardware installed (or modules loaded) and generate a minimal kernel config supporting just what's needed on a given system. Like "make localconfig"

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen@xxxxxxx>