Re: OT hosting provider experiences, comments

On Thu, 18 Jun 2009, stan wrote:

On Thu, 18 Jun 2009 11:00:02 -0400 (EDT)
"Max Pyziur" <pyz@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Adding to some of the other responses ...

It depends if you want a dedicated machine with root access on a rack,
colocate your own, or be virtually hosted.

As for having a dedicated machine, I've been using
888.net/Triple8.net for over eight years. I had used three other
providers prior to this over a period of four years, being
dissatisfied either by price or expectations of service. I hope the
longevity of the association attests to my satisfaction.

While I'm not a hyper-geek, remote access requires that you have
solid, basic sysadmin chops and another fedora-list member's advice
to keep a local box for testing is seconded by me. I've had a enough
white-knuckled experiences on the live machine, paying for it with
some proverbial skin. But 95% of the problems that I have encountered
were my responsibility, not 888.net's.

Thanks.

fyi,

Max Pyziur
pyz@xxxxxxxxx

I think you operate at a level above what I will, but I appreciate your
insight.  It gives me a point of reference.  I like the white-knuckled
reference.  Have had some of those myself.  :-)

Obviously, security holes fall in this category. Other things include mega-spam bots and how to deal with them. In this realm, I've had to build some of my own fixes, including a combination of the http://cbl.abuseat.org/, a little postgresql database, and some Perl to (re)generate an /etc/hosts.deny file that blocks current offensive IPs.

"Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night [nor spam] stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed rounds.

fyi,

Max Pyziur
pyz@xxxxxxxxx