Re: VirtualBox, Linux, ethernet question...

Yoram Halberstam wrote:
> Hi Peter,
>
> I'm using it in Bridge Mode or Host-Only - neither works.
>
> It maybe a fallback solution to try NAT and try to set it up so that I
> can get into the virtualbox via TCP... I'll try tonight if I'm not
> getting anywhere. thanks for your help!
>
> 2009/6/15 Major Péter <majorpetya@xxxxxxxxxx
> <mailto:majorpetya@xxxxxxxxxx>>
>
>     If you're using the VM in NAT mode, then you can't reach the guest
>     network device (or vice versa) by default with SSH or any other
>     type of mode. Here is a tutorial to make the SSH working (host can
>     access to the guest):
>     http://jimmyg.org/blog/2008/ssh-to-a-debian-etch-virtual-machine-in-virtualbox.html
>
>     Peter

>         Errrr.... At the risk of being shot I'll say that there a lot
>         of smart
>         and easy thing on linux compare to windows, installing
>         virtualbox and
>         running and general gui config are not one of them!
>
>         Thanks also, I may not be a wizz kid but I do go on google (and I
>         wouldn't be there if I found the answers)... anyway all of this to
>         realise that I did configure everything from the GUI already
>         (I think).
>         I prefer GUI than command line ;-)
>
>         So now I used host -only and I used bridge... both work, (I
>         realised
>         eth0 was disabled) - with vboxnet0 and eth1 respectively I can
>         communicate back to the host but not into the virtualbox
>         Suse.... Any
>         hint sir? (I've tried ssh)
>

>     --
>

> --
> Yoram Halberstam
> Computer Services Provider
> MSN: netfever@xxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:netfever@xxxxxxxxxxx>
All of that being said, what is the ip address of the hard nic (eth0?)
on the host machine (ifconfig eth0 on the host os), what is the ip
address of the guest machine's nic (ifconfig or ipconfig depending on
the os), can traceroute or tracert (again, depending on the os) from the
guest to the host ip and what is that route, can you resolve host names
on the guest (nslookup www.yahoo.com)?

Kevin