Re: VirtualBox, Linux, ethernet question...

Errrr.... At the risk of being shot I'll say that there a lot of smart and easy thing on linux compare to windows, installing virtualbox and running and general gui config are not one of them!

Thanks also, I may not be a wizz kid but I do go on google (and I wouldn't be there if I found the answers)... anyway all of this to realise that I did configure everything from the GUI already (I think). I prefer GUI than command line ;-)

So now I used host -only and I used bridge... both work, (I realised  eth0 was disabled) - with vboxnet0 and eth1 respectively I can communicate back to the host but not into the virtualbox Suse.... Any hint sir? (I've tried ssh)

2009/6/15 Giuseppe Fuggiano <giuseppe.fuggiano@xxxxxxxxx>
2009/6/15 Yoram Halberstam <yoram.halberstam@xxxxxxxxx>:
> Ok, here is when Linux loose me! NEver had to comand line anything on
> Windows so thanks for hinting me toward the solution.

Command line permits you to control *every* aspect of your operating
system faster than you could searching, installing and learning to use
such buggy tools you find for Windows.

> I've tried the command and got
>
> [root@desktop eclipse]# VBoxManage modifyvm "desktop.lan" --bridgeadapter1
> eth0
> VirtualBox Command Line Management Interface Version 2.2.4
> (C) 2005-2009 Sun Microsystems, Inc.
> All rights reserved.
>
> ERROR: Could not find a registered machine named 'desktop.lan'
> Details: code VBOX_E_OBJECT_NOT_FOUND (0x80bb0001), component VirtualBox,
> interface IVirtualBox, callee nsISupports
> Context: "FindMachine(Bstr(a->argv[0]), machine.asOutParam())" at line 853
> of file VBoxManageModifyVM.cpp
>
> desktop.lan is what I get when I type hostname....

Learn to use the "man" command to understand how to use commands.

man VBoxManage

You'll discover that you must specify the virtual machine NAME.  If
you called your virtual machine "Suse" or "Suse 10" or whatever, you
have to use that name.

Type "ifconfig" command to discover the name of the ethernet interface
you are using.  Please look to Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org), in
the Fedora wiki (https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Fedora_Project_Wiki)
or simply to Google for terms or concepts you don't know or
understand.

Yoram Halberstam
Computer Services Provider
MSN: netfever@xxxxxxxxxxx