Re: Linux based Data Recovery Tools

I'm doing something like that right now using a Linux distro named "Recovery Is Possible Linux" or RIPLinux. In fact I was using RIP version 9.1 to help me rescue a system. It had a little trouble booting on an Hp Pavillion a6400z system, but I retried and it booted up fine the second try. Then I started using some of the tools:

ddrescue to duplicate the bad hard drive to a brand new hard drive

testdisk to analyze the contents of the new hard drive

I think I need to recover one bad area of 8,192 bytes from what the ddrescue log told me. Maybe "PhotoRec", a companion program that comes with testdisk, can do that for me.

I'm actually extremely surprised a Hitachi hard drive built last year would go bad so soon, but the system itself was in an extremely dirty environment and when I opened the case I found some huge "dust bunnies" in there. Maybe the accumulated dust jacked up the operating temperature of the hard drive and that damaged it.

http://rip.7bf.de/current/

Bob