Re: Fresh Fedora 11 fetches 362MB+ of updates, where's deltaRPM?

On 06/12/2009 06:21 PM, Fernando Cassia wrote:

On Fri, Jun 12, 2009 at 7:13 PM, Arthur Pemberton <pemboa@xxxxxxxxx <mailto:pemboa@xxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

    On Fri, Jun 12, 2009 at 3:34 PM, Fernando Cassia<fcassia@xxxxxxxxx
    <mailto:fcassia@xxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

    This isn't a free, infinite resource.

If you follow the discussion tree you´ll see that the discussion quickly morphed in all sort of excuses against DeltaRPMs like "my repository doesn´t implement it so it negates any benefits, switching to another compression may be better" or that "why don´t we offload cpu usage to the repos" (ridiculous, if someone agrees to host a repository they´re already contributing their bandwidth and ftp/http server, it´s the distros creator´s job to actually, gee, create the RPMs).

FC

As Arthur said this is not a free resource. Someone has to pay for those cpu cycles and the network bandwidth. I still remember wayyyyyy back when Red Hat the company was building the Red Hat Network -- some here may remember it. RHN is still in use but I suspect it is devoted entirely to the Red Hat Enterprise Linux and JBoss customers. I actually bought a subscription to RHN back then, which for a short time I could use for Red Hat Linux updates. But that download pipe was turned off and my subscription I think was refunded on a prorated basis.

I don't know how Fedora pays for all the costs of providing updates, I never looked too closely at the funding aspects in fact. But someone out there is shelling out big money for this. Someone is paying salaries, infrastructure, office space, and more. That is the reality of it. And if the donors involved are feeling the economic pinch, they might just give less in the way of funding.

In fact I'm quite surprised that Fedora hasn't implemented a paid subscription system for release downloads and release updates similar to RHN. I know that people interested in downloading the new Eclipse Galileo version can pay $30 to a different group of people to get early preferential download access to Galileo. Someone paid for the expensive hardware and bandwidth to provide premium service with.

Bob Cochran