Cd won't mount normally in fc10

I had trouble mounting a CD on an fc10 system yesterday. I was able to mount, but only from command line and using /dev/sr0 instead of /dev/cdrom or whatever. The system managed to change the title of the drive icon without my help, but not to actually mount the disk.

Is the automounting handled by haldaemon, or autofs, or what? I tried restarting both those services, no help there. fstab and mtab have nothing in them about the CD drive.

Is there some message I should be seeing in dmesg or /var/log/messages that would tell me that what is screwed up?

mahalo,
Dave