Re: Running 2.6.27 on F11 instead of 2.6.29

Suvayu Ali wrote:
john wendel wrote:
Suvayu Ali wrote:
I want to upgrade mostly because of XFCE 4.6. I wanted to get rid of Gnome completely and move to XFCE and Windowmaker. Gnome is too slow even on high-end hardware like mine. Sometimes simply opening Firefox or Thunderbird takes ages(5-10s). If someone were to tell me XFCE 4.6 would be available in F10 I would abandon all this jumping through hoops right away. :)

You don't need to upgrade to try XFCE 4.6. I'm running XFCE 4.6 on an F8 box. Just get the installer from the XFCE site and run it. You can install in a local directory under your home directory, so it won't touch anything else on your F10 system.

Then add the following it your .bash_profile :

  PATH=$HOME/bin:$HOME/xfce4.6/bin:$PATH

Switch to run-level 3 and run "startxfce4" and you're there.

Hi John,

Do you have a link for the installer? I can't seem to find any from xfce.org. I however found a mirror from a post at forum.xfce.org.

http://mocha.xfce.org/archive/xfce-4.6.0/installers/

Are these the ones I should be downloading?

I don't remember exactly where I got the installer I used, but the link you have looks OK. You might want to search for a 4.6.1 installer, but I don't see one. Looks like I need to update. If I find anything, I'll post it.

Good Luck

John