Re: update to F11 with yum

On Monday 01 June 2009, David wrote:
>On 6/1/2009 9:13 PM, Gene Heskett wrote:

>>> Ok. You had an install of Fedora 8 and you tried/wanted to upgrade to
>>> Fedora 10? Correct?
>>
>> Its been running F8 for over a year, just not recently powered up.  There
>> were 50 packages which took several hours to get and install, then I
>> rebooted and installed preupgrade from the F8 repos.  So its been running
>> F8 for about 20 months when it was running.  I had installed it fresh a
>> week before I took off to go say goodby to my daughter Barbara in late
>> fall of 2007.
>>
>> And yes, what I really wanted was an upgrade to F10.  Now its at rawhide,
>> and I have no keyboard or mouse when in x so ATM I'm wandering around in a
>> few tty's.
>>
>>> It will have to wait until the weekend but Ill d/l Fedora 8 and try this.
>>> --
>>
>> TYhanks David but don't worry about it, its done, its broken, and now it
>> must be fixed asap cuz  I'll need it for the Michigan trip in addition to
>> running fmit.
>>
>> And I'll need it 100% functional before the end of the week, this MI job
>> MUST be done by midnight June 11.  That part is not even open for
>> discussion. FCC mandate.
>
>Sorry for your troubles. Might I suggest a Live-CD install of Fedora 10.
>That only takes a few minutes.

If no one can offer a fix for the x problems, that will happen tomorrow.  It
was just that I hated to lose all the customizations I had done to make the
network work, things like that, and it almost did succeed in screwing the
pooch, it overwrote my /etc/hosts file, and left me with a zero length
resolv.conf.  It did, amazingly, leave my hard coded ipv4 address alone.
And one thing I can complement rawhide on, tty* is almost running at the
displays native resolution instead of the 80x24 screen F8 had.

????? I just typed yum check-update, 2 hours after doing the preupgrade, and
it is going to install one package and update another 119.  I repeat, WTF?

Beer-thirty and I obviously am at least 3 behind here.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)

Love is what you've been through with somebody.
		-- James Thurber