Re: Skype under Fedora-10

Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:

>> > AFAIK your Skype contacts are held by Skype, rather like your Gmail
>> > contacts are held by Gmail. I use Skype from several machines and have
>> > never had to copy stuff from one to another.
>>
>> I'm afraid my solution was to Backup my contacts list
>> under Windows XP Skype, and Restore the file when logged in
>> as the other user, again under Windows.
>>
>> I didn't see this offered under Linux, but I didn't look very carefully.
>
> We appear to be speaking at cross purposes. I don't understand what you
> mean by "Backup my contacts list" and "restore the file". Didn't you try
> simply logging into Skype on the second machine, without copying
> anything? To repeat, that's all I've ever had to do and all my contacts
> just follow me around. I've done this on Linux, MacOS and Windows.

I was trying to copy my Skype contacts list to my wife's Skype account.

On Skype under Windows XP there is an Option to Backup the contacts list
to a nominated file.
I found that one could then Restore this file to another users contact list.

As I said, this may be possible under Linux, but if so I did not find it.
The contact list itself can be shared by Linux and Windows.

The Linux Skype documentation is more or less non-existent,
as far as I could see.

--
Timothy Murphy
e-mail: gayleard /at/ eircom.net