Re: WSJ - Article on Linux netbooks

Anne Wilson wrote:
On Thursday 28 May 2009 20:27:37 Andras Simon wrote:
On 5/28/09, Konstantin Svist <fry.kun@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Another example from my experience: I bought a Creative webcam on
impulse (it was very cheap, found it on Slickdeals). Plug it in - no
dice. Search for the drivers - nothing. Some similar models are
supported, but not this one (different chipset, I think, was the
problem). Creative has open source page for this webcam
(http://tinyurl.com/m72oq3). I'll even save you the trouble of going to
that page: status is "pending" and there's no link to any sources. So
what, I'm supposed to write a driver myself?
No. Just stop impulse buying stuff.

Not always easy. I printed out the whole list of known-to-work webcams, and couldn't find one of them in the store. No box ever tells you what chipset is being used. In the end I bought a cheap own-brand webcam. To my surprise it worked with the gspca driver!

Then you have to find application software to use the camera. I have been using xawtv to record off the webcam, but it needs a font from some unavailable package. I loaded all the fonts which are on my FC10 partition to FC11, and no go. I really want a cli application, but that's another issue, I'm back to FC10 for now.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen@xxxxxxx>