Re: I'd like to get rid of pulseaudio but ...

Paulo Cavalcanti wrote:
On Sat, May 30, 2009 at 6:36 AM, suvayu ali
<fatkasuvayu+linux@xxxxxxxxx<fatkasuvayu%2Blinux@xxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

2009/5/30 Tim <ignored_mailbox@xxxxxxxxxxxx>:
On Thu, 2009-05-28 at 01:29 -0700, suvayu ali wrote:
Most of the modern Intel HDA cards _are_ capable of mixing streams. I
have owned one such card since 2007. Also most of the hi-end boards
today support multiple streams. However I am not sure whether
pulseaudio can stream two different streams to these sound cards and
let it playback in two different devices. A very common situation
would be something like a skype call on a headphone without
interrupting music playback on external speakers.
You could only do that if you have two *separate* *output* hardware
circuits.  Lots of cards only have one output system.  They might give
you separate volume controls for speakers or headphones, but both
control the same thing (one output source), they just switch between
which control to use depending on whether you've plugged a headphone, in
or not.  Which makes more sense than at first seems.

e.g. My laptop has silly little speakers that always need full volume,
my headphones work normally.  It's handy to set the level for each
appropriately, and not have to move the volume up and down between them,
just because I've plugged a lead in.

I first used this on an Intel 975XBX2 workstation board I bought in
2007. It _is_ capable of multi-streaming, I could set up my drivers to
present to the apps as two different output devices. So I had skype
configured to use the front jacks and I used the rear jacks to stream
to the line-in of my home entertainment system.

How did you do that? I am using the same card right now and I did not know
it was able of doing that. I know it has three different circuits for input,
but you are saying
it can do the same for output...

At that time I was just starting out with linux. I was running XP 32 bit , 64 bit and F8 on the same machine. I was able to configure it like that for XP 32 bit after exchange of a weeks worth of emails with Intel customer support. It was a matter of installing the _right_ drivers for the card. As far as I recall I didn't have that working on F8 though.

Back then skype used the old OSS implementation, when skype was running it would hold the audio device and not even media players could use the device let alone multi-streaming. Since my use of multi-streaming was kinda skype centric and being a newbie who was unaware of the concept of mailing lists or user forums didn't have a lot to go with.

Trying to repeat that on my current system would be great though. :)

--
Suvayu