Re: git & less/vim

I'd gotten used to everything (except for, oddly enough, status) paging and use "git --no-pager" when I explicitly don't want it to page.

On 05/29/2009 12:49 PM, Paul W. Frields wrote:
On Fri, May 29, 2009 at 10:47:08AM -0500, Brian Ericson wrote:

Anyone know how to get git working properly with less and vim?
Specifically:

* less does not "clear" (revert) the screen properly after commands like
"git log" and "git diff"
* vim isn't using the git extensions/file types for commands like "git
commit"

Both of these work properly in Gentoo (and vim -- but not less -- works
properly in Ubuntu), but it's not obvious to me what's different between
the distros to account for the differing behavior...

Funny, I would look at clearing the screen after a git log to be
awful, since I frequently need the commit name for the following
command.

I found what I think is the appropriate info in 'man git-config' under
the 'core.pager' setting.