Re: git & less/vim

Thanks for both the "less" guidance and the EDITOR tip!

Assigning the EDITOR to vim fixes the "git commit" issue (Gentoo assigns EDITOR by default).

I think I've got "less" figured out -- Gentoo exports LESS='-R -M --shift 5' (which overrides Git's value/default value).  I'd gotten far enough to see that this variable affected git's paging in Gentoo before posting, but when I tried it on Fedora mistakenly set it without exporting it, so it didn't carry through to git's invocation of less (colleague of mine laughed and said he likes to ask that as an interview question -- "what's the difference between a shell variable and an envirnoment variable?").

Your mentioning of Fedora's Git version (which is much newer than Ubuntu's 1.6.0.4) reminds me that I'm pining for either Fedora's being at 1.6.3.1 (like Gentoo is) or Git's on git.repo to update their repodata so I can use theirs instead.

Also, only marginally related:  tracking this down, I noticed that /usr/share/doc/git-<version>/config.txt is fontified in Vim when using Gentoo but not when using Fedora.  Something else to figure out...  (Who knew distributions could be so markedly different? ;) )