Re: I'd like to get rid of pulseaudio but ...

On Thu, May 28, 2009 at 8:44 AM, Steve Underwood <steveu@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Sharpe, Sam J wrote:
Andras Simon wrote:
On 5/28/09, Kevin Kofler <kevin.kofler@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Steve Underwood wrote:
>> I thought most people wanted to get rid of pulseaudio.
> Only because people like you perpetuate some stupid myth that PulseAudio is
> evil.

This is not true (and is an insult, I'd think).

[...]

> So PulseAudio is a mixing solution which works for everyone.

You must be joking.
You will probably find that the people who want to get rid of pulseaudio are the vocal minority. For the rest of us, we don't complain because it works perfectly fine for us.
Vocal minority makes them sound like a bunch of whining trouble makers. In reality they are the people for whom it didn't work out of the box, because when it doesn't work its so ridiculously painful to figure out what is wrong. No documentation. No debug messages.

In fact, there is no need to remove anything for deactivating pulse audio.

One just need to add "~/.asoundrc" to /etc/asound.conf

                files [
                        "/etc/alsa/pulse-default.conf"
                        "~/.asoundrc"
                ]

and create a file ~/.asoundrc with the following contents:

pcm.!default {
    type hw
    card 0
    device 0
}

ctl.!default {
    type hw
    card 0
}

Of course, a sound application (vlc, mplayer, etc.) should not specify pulse audio as the default in this case (it should use alsa, instead).

I think if we had an option in some menu for deactivating pulseaudio
in a similar (or better) way, we could avoid a lot of traffic in this list.

Although, I really like pulseaudio and have used it since the beginning,
some people seem to be unable to configure/use it appropriately.

Everything needed is in pavucontrol, and one only needs to click
the right mouse button of the mouse onto the stream identifier
to set defaults or redirect the output to some card, but maybe
some folk just did not realize that yet...

--
Paulo Roma Cavalcanti
LCG - UFRJ