[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

 



On 5/24/2009 9:15 PM, Gene Heskett wrote:
> On Sunday 24 May 2009, David wrote:
> and Gene replied:
>>> TBT, I only jumped in with the most basic stuff because obviously the OP
>>> was not getting the answers he needed.  The thread is quite a few messages
>>> long now.
>>>
>>> And since when did winders get religion?  I did 4 or 5 dl's on my XP
>>> equipt lappy when I was up in MI the last time, and it made a 256k eeprom
>>> binary about 410 bytes longer than the eprom and invalid when checked
>>> after I tried to burn it to carry it to a piece of transmitter gear that
>>> needed an updated OS.
>>>
>>> What other conclusion could I draw, when the linux firefox, because of
>>> miss- placed security on the makers web site that contained the download,
>>> was not able to be configured enough like IE to be acceptable and allow me
>>> to download the passwd and IE requiring upgrade.  I had words that were
>>> NOT pleasant with the maker of the gear over that little 3 days wasted
>>> time killer.  I burnt 5 or 6 cd's before I made it work, each one
>>> accompanied by a 3 mile one way trip up the hill to see if it was
>>> acceptable to the gear.  The copy I actually made work was the one I
>>> pulled with linux after I threatened to sue if they didn't give me a link
>>> that bypassed the windows IE check.
>>>
>>> Every time I tangle with winderz, it costs me time and/or money, usually
>>> both. In this exact case, it made me money because of the wasted time, but
>>> it sure reinforced my hatred for winderz.  If every windows box on the
>>> planet died yet today, its IMO 20 years past due.
>> Then, like Bruno, your problem(s) is PEBCAK or incorrect settings.
>>
>> Windows does not do that. Users do that. An ISO will download as an ISO.
>> If, before the download *you* name the download, say 'something.txt' it
>> is still and ISO. And will be treated as one.
>>
>> Sorry Gene. But you're wrong here.
> 
> The file was in fact labeled as a .bin.  And I did not try to rename it.  
> Their downloading mechanism only gave me one choice, where to put it, I let it 
> choose the default.  I even mounted the XP partition, found it and copied it 
> to F7/ext3.  And it was not 262,144 bytes long as retrieved from the ntfs 
> partition, but more like 262,566 IIRC for 3 different downloads.  The first I 
> tried to burn with the winderz freebie burner but it BSOD'd twice before it 
> looked like it worked the third time.  The burn was rejected, bad checksum, 
> which is when I found it was also too long, so that was evidence enough to me 
> that windows was still up to it old tricks.
> 
> I used XP and IE to pull that file 4 times, and got the same too long and 
> broken file every time.  I was by them also getting aggravated with their one 
> use only passwds that I had to call them and get another one each time.  The 
> 5th time, I called them up and said this isn't working.  The gear as it is, is 
> not usable, and we have a 5 figure sum in it, you can either let me pull the 
> update it needs by a direct link, or my next call will be to corporate & we'll 
> let the courts decide who owes who what.  They gave me the direct link, I 
> pulled it with one of the old FF's, used k3b to put it on the cd, like I had 3 
> times before with the IE downloads, and it worked.
> 
> Now admittedly I try to stay the hell away from windows, so maybe there was 
> some knob to twiddle in IE that might have fixed that, but it was running at 
> its as installed default settings.  If it was supposed to be smart enough to 
> do it right, it failed that class.


This is OT here Gene. Write me off list with the details and I will test
this.

-- 


  David

-- 
fedora-list mailing list
[email protected]
To unsubscribe: https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-list
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Communicate/MailingListGuidelines

[Index of Archives]     [Current Fedora Users]     [Fedora Desktop]     [Fedora SELinux]     [Yosemite News]     [Yosemite Photos]     [KDE Users]     [Fedora Tools]     [Fedora Docs]
  Powered by Linux