Re: Fedora-11 No sound - can you file a bug.

David Timms wrote:
On 19/05/09 20:52, Frank Murphy (Frankly3d) wrote:
Have a look in alsamixer with the command below, and look for anything
muted, or sliders down at zero.

alsamixer -D hw:0

That was the one. two or three sliders were at zero.
Frank, I would like to request that you create a bugzilla.redhat.com bug for this (check for an existing bug for your hardware first). Run alsa-info, allow it to paste your audio config to the alsa web site, and then copy the URL it provides in the bug report. Include which fader(s) and or mute you had to adjust, so that sound worked.

The audio devel guys have a way to determine which mixer parts should be used by default, and it seems it either does not have a config for your hardware, or the config might be incorrect.

There might even be time to get it into the F11 release... and hence not have people have to ask questions like yours and get a workaround. It is supposed to work without user intervention; you can help !

As nearly as I can tell sound just does not work in fc11. Based on three physical and two virtual machines, each of which does work with fc10 just fine and without fighting, not a single one has sound output. In fact, most don't even find the sound hardware. And the change of user interface totally rots.

I don't use sound a lot, and virtually not at all in testing, so I didn't start trying to actually use these systems seriously until about a week ago. I assume there are people who do more than check a podcast from a medical support site.

I wasn't going to say anything, because it release is close, and it seems the issue has been pushed to "sound is a work in progress" status:
http://www.happyassassin.net/2009/04/27/the-great-mixer-debate-or-where-did-all-my-sliders-go/
says it all, except the only option offered is "Internal Audio" on all of my systems. I asked on one of the chat rooms, and three people said it works for them, so I guess it passes QA.

Machines:
 fc6+qemu65 - fc10 Ok, fc11 fail (i6600 Core2 32 bit)
 fc9 fully updated - fc9, fc10 Ok, fc11 no sound - (Q9400)
 fc10 updated - works, fc11 no sound (Athlon dual 1.90GHz)
 fc9 updated - sound, fc11 no sound (Shuttle Celeron)
 fc8 ok, fc11 no sound (P4 HT 2.8GHz)

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen@xxxxxxx>