Re: mounting encrypted linux partition on windows

Damián Rodrí­guez Sánchez wrote:

That's an interesting idea. Maybe not just character coding, but also keyboard setup: I have a brazilian portuguese keyboard that's working fine under Windows and Linux graphic mode, but quite possibly being used as a standard US keyboard outside X, which is where I enter my password before starting Fedora. I'll have a look at that, since I use some non alphanumerical characters in my password.

Damian.

Robin Laing escreveu:
Damián Rodrí­guez Sánchez wrote:

I recently decided to encrypt the / Linux partition (ext3) on my
dual boot PC (Windows Vista - Fedora 10).

I used to mount it with "Ext2 Installable File System for Windows"
(http://www.fs-driver.org) when using Windows, but now that the
partition is encrypted, its contents (obviously) appear unreadable
and I'm offered to format it.

I was told that software like FreeOTFE and TrueCrypt should let me
mount the encrypted partition under Windows if I have the ext3 driver,
but it didn't work for me. Will I necessarily have to create a new
encrypted volume with one of those programs and then reinstall Fedora
(or Windows) in it instead of simply mounting the existing encrypted
partition?

I have this bookmarked but I have not tried it as I do not have any windows computers to try it with. It was a "Just in case".

Mounting LUKS / dm-crypt Partitions in Microsoft Windows
http://blog.yibble.org/2009/01/29/mounting-luks-dm-crypt-partitions-in-microsoft-windows/

Full procedure to use Ext2fsd and FreeOTFE.

 > Thank you, but that's exactly what I had done
 > and it kept saying my key was incorrect.
 >
 > I'll have a better look at my Luks configurations.

I wonder if your having an issue in character coding between Windows and Linux. Try setting a second key that is basic for testing and see if it works. You can delete it later.

luksAddKey
luksRemoveKey or luksKillSlot

That's an interesting idea. Maybe not just character coding, but also keyboard setup: I have a brazilian portuguese keyboard that's working fine under Windows and Linux graphic mode, but quite possibly being used as a standard US keyboard outside X, which is where I enter my password before starting Fedora. I'll have a look at that, since I use some non alphanumerical characters in my password.

Damian.

Hope I pointed you in the right direction.  Let us know how it goes.

--
Robin Laing