Re: NVIDIA Quadro NVS 160M

On Thu, May 21, 2009 at 10:02 PM, Kevin Kofler <kevin.kofler@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

... which is NOT part of Fedora and NOT supported in any way (any bug you
file which is partly or entirely caused by the nvidia driver will be closed
CANTFIX, as only NVidia can fix it; we will NOT add workarounds to other
software to work around their driver being broken).

I almost decided not to respond to this near troll bait and I'll probably regret it if I don't already, but here it goes...

I wish that nvidia provided/allowed good open source drivers that had good 3D performance, but they don't. If you don't like it, which you obviously don't, then fine, don't buy their products. The fact is, that for most situations for most people and especially if you want any 3D performance, you don't have a lot of options. I'm using the proprietary drivers on with a 7600GT, 8400GS, and a Quadro 570M and they all work so far without any issues to speak of.

All lostson and I did was answer the question and even told him he would need the propritary drivers but last time I checked this was the fedora users list and not an open source zelot list. While everything you said may be true, your tone certainly isn't going to persuade anyone, in fact, it will likely have the opposite effect.

Stop considering proprietary drivers "acceptable", they are not.

To who? I would certainly agree they are not preferable, but not everyone is willing to do what it takes to avoid them.

Respectfully,

Richard