Re: How to set group of video and audio devices automatically

Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:

It would probably be easiest to use Polkit to make the changes. I
use polkit-gnome-authorization, but I am sure there is a KDE version
as well. I am not sure about other window managers. In Gnome, you
can either access it from the command line, or System -->
Preferences --> System --> Authorizations.

Mikkel
I want to cut the window manager out of it completely.

I found that adding this to /etc/security/console.perms.d/50-default.perms works:

<video>=/dev/video*
<audio>=/dev/snd/* /dev/mixer* /dev/dsp*

<console>  0660 <video>      0660 root.pulse
<console>  0660 <audio>      0660 root.pulse

Then add any users who might want to use those devices to the pulse group

Unfortunately this only applies to devices that are plugged in on boot up. Are devices that are plugged in after boot up handled by udev?

Derek Tattersall