Re: Another rkhunter question

On Mon, 2009-05-18 at 16:34 -0400, Bill Davidsen wrote:
> And might you ever accidentally have used it as root? Just looking at
> the name, I know you're old enough to know better. ;-)

Harrumph!  ;-)  We *know* he does things as root, *we* know that's a bad
idea in general, *we* also know that the system's designed against that
sort of thing, and that using a system contrary to the design tends to
cause problems, LOTS of unforeseen problems.

If you want to use a system aberrantly, you need to put in a lot of work
to circumvent the restrictions, all over the place, and you'll forever
be picking up the pieces.  None of which would be accepted as being
bugs, because it's not meant to be used that way.

Gene do you leave the interlocks shorted on the transmitter doors when
it's not *absolutely* necessary to do that for service work?  That's
what you're doing when you go around doing everything as root.  You're
going to get RF burns, and find your screwdrivers embedded in the wall
behind you.

Beyond some configuration work, the only time I've ever had to run as
root is to undo the damage caused by something else that was erroneously
done as root.

--
[tim@localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.27.21-78.2.41.fc9.i686