Re: Running 32 bit binaries on 64 bit systems

Gordon Messmer wrote:
Bill Davidsen wrote:
Although I'm having this on FC11 I had it on FC6, so it's hardly "new" or "testing" material. The problem with trying to run 32 bit binaries is that they take vast numbers of libraries which have to be located and installed, and generally one at a time.

find . -type f -perm /0001 | xargs file | grep ELF | cut -f1 -d: \
    | xargs ldd | grep "not found" | awk '{print $1}' \
    | sort | uniq | xargs yum provides

This is similar to what I was doing, other than minor issues like my use of "sort -u" instead of the pipe, and isolating the ".i586" answers out of "provides." Unfortunately a lot of other stuff doesn't get caught that way, so the application starts and then streams error messages about gtk and gnome things it expects. I repeated the provides and install process, having used "script" to save the warnings, and I found that installing 32bit window managers over the 64bit parts results in a system which only boots in single user mode.

At that point I mumbled a few choice "technical terms" under my breath and decided that since there was no particular benefit from running 64bit and a big drain on my time to mix modes or port software, I will regard this as a learning experience and retry with fc12 or later. I have nothing which runs measurably better with the 64 bit, so I'll save that for play and test machines and stay 32bit for a while. At some point this summer after fc11 has been out for a bit, I'll drop in a 32bit version under KVM and run that for 32 bit apps.

Thanks to everyone who provided ideas on this, it seems that some applications don't play well in this way.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen@xxxxxxx>