Re: is lvm deprecated?

On Tue, May 12, 2009 at 8:50 AM, Mike Burger <mburger@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Fri, May 8, 2009 at 8:59 AM, Mike Burger
> <mburger@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>wrote:
>> What you'll want to do, now, is to run system-config-lvm, and run
>> through
>> the process of creating actual logical volumes and setting them up as
>> filesystems.
>>
>> It's actually very simple and painless.
>

> I burst out laughing when I read this.

I'm not sure if I should be happy or unhappy about your
laughter...especially since my response was born out of nearly 7 years of
using LVM tools under AIX, and 4 or 5 of doing so under Fedora.

Which part of my response drove you to laughter, if I may?

It's difficult to explain. I wasn't thinking anything like "Whoa, that person must be so crazy" or anything like that. It was just pretty obvious that our perspectives are completely and (to me) amusingly different. Calling LVM 'useful' or 'powerful' would not have made my eyes bat, but 'simple' is too close to 'obvious' (that was the warm-up) and 'painless'? I guess it seemed to me that the entire conversation would never have happened if it was painless. Sort of like saying "The pain you feel is an illusion! Master your emotions! Get a grip!" I guess it could also be seen as funny from the perspective of, well, nothing is so simple and painless that there is no one lazy enough to get confused by it and earn themselves some pain by their confusion.

Let me confess, I've always tried to remain as ignorant as possible about LVM, and so any confusion and pain I've encountered is well earned by me. It is mine alone. It's a bit analogous to newbies struggling with the distinctions between devices, disks, partitions, and file systems. Most of these things can now be dealt with in a way that, once mastered, seems fairly simple and painless (though people still trip up). But to someone who is new to it, it seems pretty annoying. Maybe just a bit more effort with LVM would bring me to the promised land of painless simplicity.

Dave