Re: How To Create /home on a Network Drive

On Saturday 09 May 2009 10:30:37 pm Robert L Cochran wrote:
> >> I have two Fedora laptops. I would like to have my /home partition as a
> >> separate partition on a network drive, such that when each laptop user
> >> logs in, his or her /home/[user] directory is mounted from the network
> >> drive. But I don't know how to do this. Suggestions?
> >>

> > ----
> > might not be a good idea if the laptop is detached from the network
> > but...
> >
> > man nfs
> >
> > man auto.home
> > man auto.master
> >
> > I know that Red Hat Enterprise documentation covers this pretty well and
> > there might be some documentation on Fedora Wiki but I haven't looked.
> >
> > Craig
> >

> I think my brain must have shut down for the night. I wouldn't have such
> an easy time mounting /home in a restaurant, would I?
>
> Thanks...

no, you're right about that, but i was thinking about this yesterday too.  how
does one use their linux laptop like some of the coporate folks use their
windows laptops?  when they're at the office, they use the profile on the
server; when they're away, they use the "roaming" copy of the profile.

does such a thing exist for us?  i got to thinking about some crazy rsync
script that would run just before disconnecting and right after reconnecting
to the "home" network, but that's a kludge.

anyone doing something like the linux road warrior?

8F89 5E72 8DF0 BCF0 10BE 9967 92DC 35DC B001 4A4E