Re: Backing up whole system

For just one or two systems I would use G4U by Hubert Feyrer ( http://www.feyrer.de/g4u/ ) or G4L by Michael D. Setzer II (please see his post in this thread.) I like to clone an entire hard disk and then store the clone offsite.

I have not used G4L enough to gain real experience with it. I should try to work with it enough to record a successful cloning action with G4L. With that said, my impression is that G4U adapts a little better to many but not all hardware setups. Hardware that G4U does not know about will render it unbootable or unusable. And very often, if G4U doesn't work on a given machine, G4L has trouble on it too. If both G4U and G4L do not work for me on a given machine, I move the disk I want to clone to another machine, and try to use G4U on that. If it seems to boot I go ahead with the cloning action.

I really should try to use G4L more often, too.

The up side of G4U/G4L is they both offer simple and quick cloning action without going through the $%^& of setting up certain dedicated backup software packages such as Amanda.

The down side of using G4U is that if you try to clone drive A to an external USB hard drive, the cloning action can take many hours. It is not quick. I have insufficient experience with G4L to discuss its performance.

I also use scp to copy important files to a network drive and while this is a backup, it is not an offsite backup. Very important difference. There are businesses like Web Hosting Talk which admit they made severe mistakes by not maintaining offsite backups. I should probably look into doing that.

Even homes now generally have more than one computer. Multiple laptops, one for each member of a family, are very common. I'd have to think about an effective backup strategy for those cases.

For nontechnical users one simply cannot use complex backup solutions though. I have enough experience to realize that. If the solution isn't simple and automatic it won't be used. For technical users, the same might apply, too, because tech people tend to be rather busy with tasks other than backup and recovery. A backup solution really needs to be as simple as turning a key.

Bob