Re: Fdisk screwup

Tom Horsley wrote:
On Sat, 09 May 2009 13:26:29 -0400
Bill Davidsen wrote:

Definitely what you do before scrapping old drives.

The trouble is I never scrap drives until they have
physically stopped working, and it is too late to
write on them at that point.

I have taken some apart though - almost as good, especially
after the platters get all scratched, mixed up, and scattered
around - and you get some really powerful refrigerator
magnets that way as well :-).

I should have said 'redeploy' because in general I have enough friends and teen-age relatives to find a new home. And a pile of <1GB old IDE drives I will probably either take apart or take to the range for configuration management. But you really need to remove the oxide to remove the data, far too time consuming, obsolete drives should be scribbed while they run, I don't care if someone finds my old FC3 source RPMs. ;-)

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen@xxxxxxx>