Re: Fedora sendmail auth

On Friday, May 8th 2009 at 15:39 -0000, quoth Steven W. Orr:

=>I have some crappy laptop running windoze and I want to connect to my
=>home server to send and receive my mail. I got the dovecot/imap side
=>working but I need to know what to do to be allowed to use my server at
=>home which runs sendmail as my SMTP server. Is there a gentle howto
=>that's uptodate WRT F~10? Can I just auth by password or do I really
=>need to go the whole certificate magilla? What packages are needed?

On Friday, May 8th 2009 at 16:12 -0000, quoth Kevin J. Cummings:

=>If you add the laptop to your /etc/mail/access file (configure as RELAY), you
=>should be able to use your sendmail directly (port 25).  Or, you could
=>configure sendmail to use MSA on port 587 with login credentials.  Finally,
=>you could enable SSL (smtps) on port 485, but ISTR that it requires
=>certificates be set up.  I created a dummy self-signed certificate on my
=>server machine, and I use it for each client on my local network which wishes
=>to send email through my server.
=>Whether its Windows or Linux, I use the same setup in Thunderbird.

Sorry but this is exactly what I didn't want. When I said gentle I really
meant it. If I'm sitting in a hotel then how does my access file know if
it's my laptop? What is MSA with login creds? How do I enable SSL, and
what is ISTR?

On Friday, May 8th 2009 at 16:23 -0000, quoth Tom Horsley:

=>On Fri, 8 May 2009 15:39:53 -0400 (EDT)
=>
=>I setup self-signed certificates for doing an ssl connection
=>to postfix and dovecot running on my home server. Postfix seemed
=>less terrifying to configure than sendmail and there is a nifty
=>feature to let postfix and dovecot share authentication so I
=>don't need to duplicate passwords. I didn't find it too horrible
=>to get working. I dragged the public half of the cert to work
=>on a USB key and told my mailer: "Here, this is a perfectly good
=>cert.", so it wouldn't bug me about the self signed stuff.

And thanks but sendmail is the smtp server. Switching to postfix is not in
the cards.

steveo at syslang.net