Re: [OT] ssh login script - Please Help

Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:
Mike Burger wrote:
Mikkel wrote:
Or don't log in at all. Use scp to copy the file, and then ssh where
it is set to run a command when you connect. (Use the
comand="comand" format for the key.) One thing I am not sure of is
if you can use the same key for scp when using the command= option.
Well, is part of the openssh suite, and does/will use the same key as the
ssh executable.

I use keys to scp and ssh to run commands all the time, without having to
pass passwords along, in order to automate processes, all the time.

I do the same. But I have never tried to use the private key that
was tied to a command on the other machine with scp, so I do not
know if scp will work with a key that is only allowed to run one
program on the remote machine. (You can not "login" in using that
key.)

[ forgive my mid-line snip of your example ]

You don't need to do two operations, you can pass the file to the script:
  cat myfile | ssh -i myscript.key machine [optional args]
the first command in the script is something like:
  dd of=safedir/new.myfile

You can pass arguments to the script, they will end up in $SSH_ORIGINAL_COMMAND which can be read by the script. My backup script takes full|incr|config|logs|crit argument on the client and sends the backup data to stdout where I can save it.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen@xxxxxxx>