Re: Why does my window fractionate?

dexter wrote:

>>> I think you are referring to "Desktop Grid"
>>> http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=kde++"desktop+Grid";

>> Thanks for the suggestion.
>> I'm not sure if this is the actual "effect" in action,
>> as implementing it by Ctrl+F8 produces a slightly different picture -
>> the mini-desktops are aligned in a grid, as the name suggests,
>> while when my desktop "fractionates" the mini-dekstops
>> are displayed around the screen.

>>> I don't have a clue how to configure Desktop Effects though - it sounds
>>> like you have a hot zone configured for one of your screen corners that
>>> launches that picker, so maybe have a look through the Desktop Effects
>>> system settings to work out how it's configured.

>> That sounds plausible, though as you say
>> I have no idea how to find the "hot zone" if indeed there is one.
>> The Desktop Grid entry actually says "Action - Unknown",
>> which is not very helpful.

> Thats funny I had the same mistry when effects are enabled, turns out
> the default zone is the top left-hand corner configured via the
> 'screen edges' tab from 'desktop effects' so the full path System
> settings=>Desktop=>Desktop effects=>Screen edges.

Thanks ... that was indeed the source of the problem.
On clicking on "Screen edges" I see that there are 8 hot-spots
around the screen, 7 of which were disabled.
The top left-hand hot-spot was however set to show all the desktops
when the mouse hovered over it.
Disabling this has stopped that happening;
though actually knowing what caused it would have been enough
to stop it happening in practice.

--
Timothy Murphy
e-mail: gayleard /at/ eircom.net