Re: f10dvd installs but won't boot

Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
On Wed, 2009-05-06 at 15:23 +0100, Sharpe, Sam J wrote:
Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
On Wed, 2009-05-06 at 22:47 +1000, David wrote:
On Wed, May 6, 2009 at 7:30 PM, Tim <ignored_mailbox@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Tue, 2009-05-05 at 09:57 -0700, jackson byers wrote:
I guess i need some info in gmail how not to do that.
in my gmail setting
nothing here explicitly HTML
the option you want.  It'll be some option about rich text, formatted
text, or something else that sounds fancy.

Could someone who knows how to disable HTML gmail postings write a FAQ
page about this that we could quickly point to?  I looked at the
Immediately above the Gmail text entry window there is a formatting
toolbar that includes a clickable "Plain Text" button. Clicking this
both turns off HTML and hides the toolbar (replacing it with a
clickable "Rich Formatting" button that toggles it back on).

So the FAQ instruction could be:

Before sending a message from Gmail, turn off HTML rich text
formatting by clicking on "Plain Text" to hide the formatting toolbar
above the text entry window.
You can also enable Google Labs, which has an option for sending plain
text mail by default.
Really? I couldn't find it when I looked as I though that was the natural place for it to be.

What's the exact name of the Labs extension?

I was thinking of "Fixed Width Font", but on checking it I see this is
actually for *viewing* messages.

That's good. It confirms that I'm not going prematurely senile!

However my Gmail is already set up to send in plain text by default. I
don't remember if I did something special to get this, or if that's the
way it works out of the box, but I need to explicitly select "Rich
Formatting" to get anything different.

If you select "Rich Formatting >>" it persists as your default until you select "<< Plain Text" again (which seems to be the default - I checked on a spare Gmail account). I'd like to see it in the Settings as a formal preference as that's not exactly the behaviour I would have expected, but I can see that the Google guys are aiming for elegant simplicity.

--
Sam