Re: "Blinking lights of death" ? Netgear Switch GS108

Aldo Foot wrote:
On Mon, May 4, 2009 at 1:19 PM, David Liguori <liguorid@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
.....  You say the room is well-ventilated but
that doesn't rule out too high an ambient temperature in a room full of
equipment, especially if it was sitting on top of or in a rack full of other
equipment.  .....

Alright... where did you put that webcam. :-)
You're correct. The ambient temp may be an issue, but only if I keep the
door wide open. The switch was placed on top of the server, but the
server has plenty of ventilation. I'll take a closer look at this though.

If you're pretty sure the capacitor is what's ailing it and it's
through-hole rather than surface mounted, I would consider it well worth
fixing, or even trying if there's greater than a 10% success probability.
 Many 8-port switches aren't worth fixing below that.

Yeah. It was the cap. It was blown from the top. The rest appeared to
be alright... and for that reason I'm reluctant to just toss it out.

~af

It seems to be common problem with those netgear 8-port switches. I had one 8-port netgear wall mounted and it broke. When I opened it it was clean and fine except one of the capacitors was bulging littlebit. It's still under garantee, but haven't had time to take it in there. What I read from net it's type problem. Saw quite many stories of people fixing it by changing that cap. Too bad. I really liked the steel box and all.

-VPK