Re: How To Send Files Securely From Fedora

On Sat, May 02, 2009 at 15:31:07 -0400,
  Robert L Cochran <cochranb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I want to send files securely from my Fedora 11 (Preview) or Fedora 10
> systems to a Microsoft Windows (Home Edition) user who quickly gets lost
> if asked to do anything complex. By "securely" sending files, I mean I
> wish to attach files to an email and then send them over the wire either
> encrypted or password protected such that there is little possibility of
> anyone but the intended recipient being able to see the files in clear.
>
> I would also like the user to be able to send files back to me which are
> similarly secured.

Are you worried about the attacker using fake email messages in order
to steal keys? With email, it isn't much harder to become an active
attacker than a passive one. To mitigate that you are going to want
to avoid self decrypting archives.

Is money an issue? If not it might more sense to have a separate computer
on his end that is always connected to the internet that you manage. Than
you can exchange files on that machine with yours and he doesn't have to
worry about it. He can read files you drop off and save files he creates
for you to pick up.