Re: Editor to program in C

On Tuesday 28 April 2009, Dave Ihnat wrote:
>On Tue, Apr 28, 2009 at 08:34:09PM +0100, Chris Jones wrote:
>> Emacs is my editor of choice, and I disagree it has a learning curve.
>> <snip>
>> vi on the other hand ;)
>
>Aw, crud.  I've dealt with this stupid war for 28 years.
>
>And just to throw gas on the fire--so I'm not pacifist, sue me--I still
>think Emacs is overblown for an editor.  A comment I made about Emacs
>about '82 or so on Usenet was, "If I wanted an operating system, I'd
>get one.  Emacs has everything except the kitchen sink."
>
>And someone pointed out the icon for Emacs was...well, guess.

Naw, couldn't be.  Say it isn't so... :)

Does vim have an icon?  I've never seen it if it does, but I don't use
anything else enough to remember the syntax.

>Another valid comment about Emacs back then:  "Put your coffee cup on
>the keyboard and roll it around; it will hit keys that all do
>*something*."  (Problem was, probably nothing you wanted.)
>
>Hey, strokes for folks--the great thing about Unix/Linux was summed up
>in another quote from those long-ago days:
>
>  Unix doesn't just let you shoot yourself in the foot.  It asks you
>  what caliber you want.

And I usually chose the 4 ga punt gun.  Its so heavy the only thing I could
hit is the floor cuz I could get it propped up on my foot. ;)

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)