Re: PCSCD failure

Todd Denniston wrote:

it looks like you have a ActivCard USB Reader V2,
http://pcsclite.alioth.debian.org/iManufacturer.html
with usb product id 0x0008
http://pcsclite.alioth.debian.org/unsupported.html#0x09C30x0008

Some folks have had luck upgrading the firmware on SOME instances of that hardware with the latest firmware from SCM for the SCR-331.
see http://lists.drizzle.com/pipermail/muscle/
If it works then you now have a reader that acts like a
http://pcsclite.alioth.debian.org/supported.html#0x04E60xE001

if it don't work I suspect you have a very light paperweight at the end, and then again, that is pretty much what you got now.

Before buying later I would suggest looking more at the pcsclite lists:
http://pcsclite.alioth.debian.org/supported.html
http://pcsclite.alioth.debian.org/section.html

Good luck.

Thanks very much for the tips. I've downloaded the firmware and Windows installer, now I just need to get someone (at work) with a Windows box that isn't totally locked down, to run the firmware update. My NMCI windows box told me to drop dead when I tried it.

BTW, I once saw this reader working correctly on an FC6 installation, with a lot of hand installed packages. Too bad that the "improvements" to the code broke something that was working.

Regards,

John